The county was formed in 1741 from Bertie County. It was named for Richard Edgcumbe, a Member of Parliament from 1701 to 1742 and a lord of the treasury, who became 1st Baron Edgcumbe in 1742.
In 1746 part of Edgecombe County became Granville County; in 1758 another part became Halifax County; in 1777 yet another part became Nash County. In 1855 the formation of Wilson County from parts of Edgecombe County, Johnston County, Nash County, and Wayne County reduced Edgecombe to its present dimensions, aside from minor boundary adjustments.
Edgecombe County was historically home to the Tuscarora Indians.Today there are many descendents of the Tuscarora still living in certain areas of the county.
The Wyatt Fountain on the Town Common
The Wyatt Fountain is a memorial for Tarboro resident Henry Lawson Wyatt, a carpenter, who died at age 18 at the Battle of Bethel Church, Virginia in 1861.
The Town Common was established by charter in 1760. The Town Common features venerable native trees and monuments. The Town Common is used for a variety of purposes including family picnics, arts and crafts festivals and concerts.
The Blount-Bridgers House
This home was built in 1808 by General Thomas Blount. Today, after restoration, The Blount House is home to the Hobson Pittman Collection (Mr. Pittman is an Edgecombe County native) and the House often serves as host to visiting artists from around the County. The Blount-Bridgers House is a "must see" when visiting Tarboro.
The Edgecombe County Courthouse
The Courthouse is best viewed from "The Square". "The Square" is a place where townsfolk sit and "visit" while young children throw pennies in the wading pool and dream of days to come. The Courthouse building is based on the 18 th. century Hospital for the Insane in Colonial Williamsburg, Virginia. This Colonial Revival building pushes the Baroque vocabulary to its limits, enlarging "colonial" elements to a truly heroic scale.
Historic Tarboro and Edgecombe County welcomes you
Bye now. Come to visit real soon!