To form partnerships with Families and Communities to enhance the Family's quality of life. Our work is Family Focused & Community Driven!
The core beliefs of the Edgecombe County Department of Social Services as excerpted from its mission statement are embodied in the following:
- We believe that the family unit is the primary and preferred resource for meeting the needs of children and adults.
- Emphasis is placed on maintaining children and disabled adults in their own homes through the provision of needed services to improve and strengthen family functioning. Out of home placement services are available when the care and safety of children/disabled adults can not be insured in their own homes.
- Community based preventative services offer the necessary support to families and disabled adults in their quest to remain at home as long as possible.
- Edgecombe County citizens will be respected and supported in their interactions with our agency.
Marva G. Scott, MSA - Director
Important Notice - A New System for Applying for Benefits!
Social Services has changed over to a new system called NC FAST. The new system will save time and serve clients better, but changing over to it takes time. Therefore, it's important for families who need to submit documents to have your benefits recertified to get your information in timely so there will be no delay in receiving benefits.
Food Stamp & Medicaid Customers Can Now Use ePass!
ePASS is short for Electronic Pre-Assessment Screening Service and is a quick and easy way for Food Stamp (Food & Nutrition Services) and Medicaid customers to get information about benefits and services that may help them. You can check your eligibility, and even complete an online application that is submitted electronically. Go to the ePass Website to learn more or to start the process now.
- Click here to watch a video to learn more about ePass.
The Tarboro branches of the Health Department and Social Services Have Moved!
In case you haven't been to the DSS office in a while, you may not know that we are in a new location. The Tarboro offices of both the Health Department and the Department of Social Services have moved into the new Human Services Building located at 122 E. St James St. Tarboro. All services for DSS and Health for the Tarboro branches, are available in this new facility. Click here to download a map showing parking locations.